"If there is no wind, row" - on the wall of my gymnastics gym at Hinsdale Central High School

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I Am Not a Homeless Person

I walk around 5:15 in the morning every week day that I am not traveling while the temperatures are still in the mid 70's now with relatively mid-level humidity.  I carry my driver's license with me on my morning walks just in case that I need to prove that I am indeed an upstanding citizen of the community.  People can be odd. 

I dress like an upstanding citizen - hiking boots and socks, shorts, even a collared Mountain Hardwear short sleeve technical shirt.  What throws people is the backpack.  I am carrying my black Arcteryx RT35 which is a great bag for these training walks.  Apparently, people are not accustomed to seeing someone in my part of the city with a large backpack walking down the street.  Nevertheless, I look like someone doing what I am actually doing - conditioning for a hike.  I do not consider myself a threatening presence, but on more that one occasion people - men and women have crossed the road at a distance when we have come into eye contact.

It is an odd phenomenon I experience regularly on these walks - I would characterize it as a general lack of common courtesy or acknowledgement.  I pass you on the street, I say "hello".  More often than not, I get a blank stare and no response.  Perhaps their headsets are set too high, perhaps it is to early, perhaps perspiring people make them uncomfortable, or perhaps they do not talk to homeless people for fear of encouraging them to stay in the area.  It is not just walkers or runners.  It is bicyclists and bicycle commuters.  Salutation and mostly silence in return.  I see it when I ride in the city too, but to a less degree.  With other people I come across most mornings consistently, it is like we are seeing each other for the first time - also difficult to fathom. I say "hello", they act surprised and say it back.  I am thinking "I pass you every morning; I am the guy with the backpack; how many people with backpacks are there?"

That early in the morning, there should be an esprit de corps for anyone out and about exercising regardless of proficiency, specific sport, type of footwear, hygiene and fashion sense. We should be united in the community of morning exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment