"If there is no wind, row" - on the wall of my gymnastics gym at Hinsdale Central High School

Friday, June 10, 2011

Climbing Nob Hill - Part 1

This week's business trip to San Francisco may represent the highest spot I will be able to climb before the class trip to Washington.  I am staying at the top of Nob Hill, which is the highest hill in San Francisco, at the Mark Hopkins.

Yesterday, I did five loops of California to Powell to Post to Taylor, which is around 0.90 miles per loop according to Map My Ride, and the elevation gain and loss was around 900 feet each time. California and Post were the flats, Powell the descent and Taylor the ascent. Powell is one of the routes for the cable cars.  The first two were rough but after some Super Brunello burnoff (from the night before at The North Beach Restaurant) and some endorphins, I kind of got into a groove for the remaining three.

I went back down Powell one more time to have breakfast at Kuleto's near Union Square - two eggs over polenta with a spicy marinara sauce.  I usually eat here once a year for some meal when in town. They have consistently good Italian food. 

One final climb, up Powell this time, for a total of around 5400 feet of elevation gain - take that stair climber - before my morning meetings started.

No comments:

Post a Comment