"If there is no wind, row" - on the wall of my gymnastics gym at Hinsdale Central High School

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Vive Le Tour

I have been watching the Tour de France as long as we have been able to get in on cable, and many years before I became active in cycling.  To me it remains an excellent example of organizational hardiness and resiliency: the team focuses its effort to support the leader's ambitions.  From there, anything can happen.  

Like many professional sports it has been touched by scandal through different seasons. Yet for those who race "clean" they epitomize examples we can aspire to from the perspective of Hardy Beliefs: Commitment, Control, and Challenge; Hardy Social Support: Assistance and Encouragement; and Hardy Coping: Mental Perspective and Understanding and Decisive Action.  One such example is Thor Hushovd, World Champion, early race leader this year and committed competitor:


The professional cycling leader cannot succeed without the team, and it is no different in our respective endeavors.  

Switching gears: After my delayed arrival home Saturday missing Vic's Ride, I left garage at 05:40 today and rode 60.7 miles solo over 3:36:20.  It was not my best average at 16.8 but it was my first solo at that distance.  I did burn 4565 calories according to my Garmin.  

I love my time on the bike and the satisfaction of personal achievement under one's own power.  The above video shows what is possible with a strong foundation in the 3C's and a willingness to take decisive action.

No comments:

Post a Comment